Being pregnant is a jubilant adventure with which the females are blessed. A mother carries her child for 9 months in her womb. She keeps on counting days so as to when her arms will hold the one she is feeding for months. She prepares herself and her body accordingly to give birth and to give her life a new meaning.
What is a contraction during pregnancy?
A women’s body goes through various changes in these 9 months tenure. Her stomach becomes tight and hardens as the delivery time approaches. As the big day approaches, a women’s body releases two chemicals Propagandist and oxytocin. The contraction is initiated by these two chemicals secreted. Labor contractions or pains are very infrequent or very light just like menstrual cramps in the first few weeks of the pregnancy. Every pregnancy follows a different pattern so it might not show up in some cases. Prepping up the body for the final checkout is the main reason for contractions.
Signs of labor:
- Pregnancy contractions: increase in the frequency of the pains indicate that the final show is about to start. By Pregnancy contractions timing we mean that very soon the baby is going to be delivered. Many women get confused in between real labor and false labor. Real labor steadily increases in strength and continue even if the position is changed. False Labor is irregular and stops if the position is altered or changed.
- Baby “drops”: The baby’s head is pushing down and is exerting pressure on the bladder which means the baby is getting ready and is taking position. The descending of the baby into the pelvis usually happens two to four weeks before the delivery but can vary.
- Change in vaginal discharge and consistency: increase in vaginal discharge is a sign of approaching delivery. Bloody show, a thick pinkish discharge is a good indication of the approaching delivery date. Due to baby’s head dropping a mucus plug is expelled from the vagina and is known as vaginal discharge. This mucus plug is a sign that the delivery is near.
- Increase in urination: Due to baby head dropping in the pelvis region, urge to urinate increases many folds. This happens because the baby’s head exerts pressure on the urinary bladder so the intensity to urinate increases in many women.
- Back pain: For some expectant mothers back pain is a sign of labor. This lower back may come and vanish as the labor approaches. Loosening of the joints in the pelvic areas is also a sign of labor.
- Diarrhea: loose bowel movements or diarrhea is common in some pregnant women as the days approach. This can be due to pelvic pain and the pressure exerted on the bladder.
It has been observed that mostly all the mothers who have recently given birth have experienced one of the above mentioned signs of labor. Pregnant women must call the doctor when she thinks her water has broken. Also, the doctor is to be approached when the contractions timing are increasing and are intolerable.